Our School Story
Howard DeBeck Elementary:
is a Kindergarten to Grade 7 school located in central Richmond. The school catchment is from Francis Road on the south to Granville Avenue on the north, and Heather Street n the west to No. 4 Road on the east. The 2019-2020 school year started with 330 students in 15 divisions. The school’s population is expected to grow moderately to in the next few years.
Mission Statement: Valuing Others, Sharing Responsibility, Learning Together
At DeBeck there is a shared responsibility among staff, students, parents, and the community to work and learn together within a supportive school environment. By providing challenging and meaningful opportunities that foster equality, acceptance and respect, individuals are encouraged to reach their highest potential.
Debeck is a school with many strengths provided by the dedicated, caring and responsible people of our community. The DeBeck Community is an amazing mix of diverse cultures, yet it is this diversity that helps provide such a rich learning experience for our students. Our students learn tolerance and acceptance though their daily interactions with each other. The dedicated, experienced and skilled staff at DeBeck along with the caring, nurturing and supportive parent group share the common values that together provides a strong learning environment for our students.
Our Overall Learning Goal is:
The story of teaching and learning at DeBeck Elementary School in Richmond, includes the establishment last year of a three-year focus on…
“Building a Healthy Learning Community” – an overall School Goal, which has included extensive professional development, as well as innovation projects and explorations within the following areas:
- First People’s Principles of Learning
- Outdoor Learning, Outdoor Gardening and Alternative Learning Environments – we are a Wild Schools School next year.
- Healthy Choices – Social Responsibility, Physical Literacy and Nutrition
- Differentiated Instruction and Tranformational Learning
- Playful Inquiry/Storytelling, Loose Parts and Reggio-inspired teaching and learning
- Use of technology to enhance learning:
- Using technology, and especially E-Portfolios, to effectively communicate one’s thinking and learning